was in 1882 that people first settled in Coleman; moving nearer to the Warm
Springs Hammock lands that they were farming. Dr. B.F. Coleman is
listed in the Florida Gazette, in 1886-87 as one of the early citizens and
for whom the town was named. Adamsville had been the home of most of
the early settlers but the settlers chose to buy land, build homes and move
nearer to the hammock.
main source of revenue was growing and selling oranges, but they also made a
living raising cotton, cattle, sheep and hogs. However, after the
1894-95 freeze, the residents of Adamsville moved away in search of other
means of a livelihood. The stage line running through Adamsville
furnished transportation for the people. Mail and other items were
shipped over this line. In 1883 the transportation problem was solved,
the railroad was built from Wildwood and finally completed to
1925, the city received its Charter. Streets were paved, electric
lights installed and the city collected refuse for the citizens. The
Adamsville School was used for the children even after their parents moved
to Coleman. A one-room structure was the first building in Coleman
used for holding classes and it also served for holding church
services. Three buildings had been used for school houses, however,
the high school grades had to attended the Wildwood School.
of the local residents were employed at a mill at Warnell in the Panasoffkee
area. In 1910, Mr. Swicord built a hotel
and by 1923 Coleman became known as the "Cabbage"
capital of the world. Mr. Swicord's hotel and other boarding houses
were usually filled with buyers flocking to this town to buy up the
crops. The town was so prosperous that most every home had a telephone
and the town owned its own telephone system.
the mid-20's, Sumter county was again the scene of important railroad
construction. Beginning at Coleman, a completely new railroad was constructed
to West Palm Beach and Miami and on through to Homestead. On January
1927 there was a city-wide celebration greeting the first train to reach