home

our map

school board

county libraries

development council

parks and recreation

chamber of commerce

Webster Cattle Prices


  businesses / services

search

credits

email webmaster

 

 

 

 

 

It was sometime around 1870 Oxford began to be settled.  It was originally called Sandspur but later changed to Oxford.  On the road south of town there was a pond that caused problems during the rainy seasons.  Travelers were forced to get the help of teams of oxen to cross this section of the road.  This could have led to the name Ox-ford.

The stagecoach line furnished transportation in the early days.  The railroad came around 1882, after 1885 development of City Hall, a newspaper, commercial area, a crate mill, and three churches.

After the 1894-95 freeze a few families remained in Oxford, they turned to truck farming for a living.  Cantaloupes developed as a quality crop.  Tomatoes are raised in and around Oxford at the present time.